Friday, February 24, 2012

Rapids Road Bridge



Down a dirt road in Waverly Hall, there used to be another dirt road that was open to the public up until the late 1980's - 1990's. This dirt road was dubbed "The Rapids Road" by my uncles Walter and Brian. Walter and Brian used to take weekend trips down here and hang out by the water with their uncle Ken and cousin Little George. Unfortunately this area was closed off long before I was ever able to go down and enjoy it. However, I had heard lots about the area and the old iron bridge down it. I have always wanted to see it.

Well, out adventuring yesterday I found the now gated dirt road was open. I decided to go down the road a little ways. I was met by a very friendly man on a four wheeler who informed me that it was now a private road. We talked briefly and I told him that I only wished to photograph the bridge down the road. He granted me permission and I got to experience something I had always felt I missed!  






Looking at these pictures, it's hard to believe that around 20 years ago Walt, Brian, Ken and Little George used to drive across this bridge in Ken's old 1965 Chevrolet C10.








The fellow explained to me that this land was a public road, but the bridge was condemned by the county. Mead already owned the surrounding land, so they just took that road over and the hunting club that he was a member of manages it and all the property around it.





The Rapids Road. Note the stream crossing the road, very cool!





No comments:

I Rarely Shoot For Profit, So If You Enjoy My Photography, Please Share A Donation

Equipment Used:

  • Canon EOS 40D (2012 - Current)
  • Canon 18 - 55mm EF-S Lens
  • Canon 100mm USM f/2.8 Lens
  • Canon 50mm EF Lens
  • JVC 20GB HardDiskDrive Camcorder
  • Canon EOS 20D (2007 - 2012)